Re: Postgresql locks up server - no response at all

From: Sven Willenberger <sven_at_dmv.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 18:03:21 -0400
On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 15:27 -0600, Scott Long wrote:
> Sven Willenberger wrote:

> >>Please note that PREEMPTION is now NOT enabled in CURRENT. scottl
> >>changed that a day or two ago because of all of these lock-ups. He and
> >>Julian are listed as working to isolate the problem. Scott believes it's
> >>in the scheduler. It's not specific to either ULE or 4BSD.
> >>
> >>So cvsup, rebuild the kernel and you should be fine.At least for a while.
> >

> > Based on this and Jeremy C.'s response it would appear that I should
> > either try to upgrade my 5.2.1-P8 system to -CURRENT (which is scary
> > because of the vinum array - root is not mounted on a vinum device, but
> > the data directory is - will gvinum simply read this correctly? it is a
> > stripe+mirror array of 4 drives) or start from scratch and go back to
> > 4.10 (STABLE) for a while. I am assuming that the lockups I am seeing
> > were exacerbated by the PREEMPTION episodes of the past couple weeks? If
> > I choose the upgrade to -CURRENT, are there any caveats or
> > recommendations? (besides reading "/usr/src/UPDATING" which I do
> > religiously anyway)

> I'm a bit nervous with asking you to upgrade to -current.  PREEMPTION is
> practically disabled in 5.2.1 so upgrading has a low chance of fixing
> the problem except maybe by sheer luck.  The best action would be to
> get a crashdump.  If your system has an NMI button, then there are some
> trivial patches that will assist with this.  If not, then you might want
> to look at backporting the ichwd watchdog driver and letting that do a
> chip-assisted NMI.
>
> In any case, finding out exactly what each CPU is doing at the time of
> the lockup is going to be vital.  The lockups that I've been able to
> reproduce happen when a TAILQ in the scheduler gets corrupted and
> resulting in one CPU spinning on the list forever with the scheduler
> lock held.  All other cpus then quickly grind to a halt while they wait
> for the sched lock to become free, which it never does.

The case unfortunately does not have a button (although the mobo does
have an NMI header/jumper). Backporting the watchdog driver sounds
doable; other than downloading the sys/dev/ichwd directory from a
repository and adding "options ichwd" to my kernel config file, what
else would be needed? I am willing to try to get at least one crashdump
before I have to go back to a -STABLE setup or try something so I can
get some uptime on this box.