Re: [PLEASE TEST] Better support for Synaptics Touchpads

From: Philip Paeps <philip_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 10:58:07 +0200
On 2004-08-05 10:34:28 (+0200), Arne Schwabe <arne_at_rfc2549.org> wrote:
> Philip Paeps <philip_at_freebsd.org> writes:
> > If you happen to own a laptop with a synaptics touchpad, please help test:
> >
> >   <http://people.freebsd.org/~philip/psm.diff>
>
> +     * XXX: This is largely guesswork.  The documentation from
> +     * Synaptics doesn't mention guest devices, but it appears
> +     * that packets from a stick are simple ps/2 packets...
>
> They are ps/2 packets but if you are crazy you can send the guest ps/2
> device  some ps/2 commands to put it into a special mode where can get
> features like pressure but well I don't know if that is really needed. ;)

It might be fun to do :-)  Given enough physical and virtual buttons, we
should be able to emulate a full-scale piano over ps/2.  *grin*

Do you know of any documentation more recent than the ACF126.pdf from the
Synaptics site?  Guessing is a bit tedious...

 - Philip

--
Philip Paeps                                    Please don't Cc me, I am
philip_at_freebsd.org                               subscribed to the list.

  A budget is buying a dress two sizes too small because
  it was marked down.