Re: /dev/vga

From: Stephan van Beerschoten <stephanb_at_whacky.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 09:20:23 +0200
Ying-Chieh Liao wrote:

>On 四,  8 05, 2004 at 18:42:06 +0400, Gleb Smirnoff wrote:
>

>>On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 12:59:30AM +0100, Paul Richards wrote:
>>P> I can't start X anymore it complains about being unable to mmap
>>P> /dev/vga.
>>I have /dev/io and /dev/mem disappered in today's CURRENT :)
>>

>me too
>add "device io" in kernel config helps me create /dev/io
>add "link ttyv0 vga" helps me create /dev/vga
>but I still dont have /dev/mem
>and X.org complains about "cannot mmap /dev/vga"

Are you really surprised linking ttyv0 to vga doesn't work?

#kldload mem
#kldload io

With both of these modules, my X.org will start up without any complains.
/dev/vga and /dev/mem are BOTH created through the mem module, how odly
it may seem.

What I would like to know is WHY these were modularized. I am happy the
/dev/null module was reverted. To me that seemed like the most
rediculous thing to do anyway as every UNIX system needs it. Therefore
everyone would have needed to load the module by hand. What benefit
would that give ? It seems to add more difficulty then it adds in
functionality. Also, now I have to figure out a way to load these
modules per default.

btw, you can of course put 'device mem' and 'device io' in your kernel
config, but I won't want to.

/Stephan