Re: Atomic operations on i386/amd64

From: Ville-Pertti Keinonen <will+freebsd-current_at_will.iki.fi>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 11:29:57 +0300
Bruce M Simpson wrote:

>Have a look at Linux. They ended up doing a runtime self-modifying kernel
>hack so they could ship generic kernels which used the appropriate locking
>instructions on each x86 family CPU.

The idea of using self-modification to select locking modes (although
for optional preemption, SMP and debugging rather than CPU model) is
also described in a DEC Technical Journal article:

http://research.compaq.com/wrl/DECarchives/DTJ/DTJF03/DTJF03SC.TXT

I'm not sure whether the Linux implementation uses the same technique.