Re: slice weirdness

From: Allan Fields <bsd_at_afields.ca>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 04:19:01 -0400
On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 09:52:28AM +0200, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 03:47:32AM -0400, Allan Fields wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 08, 2004 at 11:13:37PM +0200, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> > I've had some partition/slice issues in the past w/ install CD and
> > missing device entries with non-standard slice (anything except s1
> > entry), can't recall details, but running sysinstall w/ newfs
> > flag to N creates appropriate entries.  Else I've found suitable
> > device entries elsewhere or make them temporarily with mknod.
> > Maybe this was only an issue in -stable.
>
> I don't know, but obviously I can't mknod / do something about it when
> the kernel has just been booted.

True. ;)

Something to try: once in a kernel, try either not using devfs or
manually creating device nodes and see if you can make it work with
ad1s2.

> > i.e. if you were to go the sysinstall route and do a fresh install
> > on ad1, exhibit same behaviour?
>
> Yes, it does. I didn't use sysinstall but 'make installworld' but either doing
> fdisk / disklabel by hand or by doing it using sysinstall, both methods stop
> at the same 'cannot find root' prompt when booting off the slice. A reboot
> into the old install later and my device entry is gone again.

You mean you can't see the new ad1s2 slice from a kernel booted off
ad0 either?  Which would be consistent to the problem.

> > > PS: I thought that there was a sysctl that showed the GEOM topology in XML;
> > >     however I was unable to find it in sysctl -a. Is it still around?
> >
> > I believe so, phk recently (few months back) mentioned it's staying in.
>
> Too bad I couldn't find it...

Try:
sysctl -b kern.geom.confxml

--
 Allan Fields, AFRSL - http://afields.ca
 2D4F 6806 D307 0889 6125  C31D F745 0D72 39B4 5541