Re: [PLEASE TEST] Better support for Synaptics Touchpads

From: Jamie Bowden <ragnar_at_sysabend.org>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 07:34:24 -0700 (PDT)
On Fri, 6 Aug 2004, Arne Schwabe wrote:

> Philip Paeps <philip_at_freebsd.org> writes:

> > Hi gang :-)

> > Since the original synaptics support was added to psm, there have been
> > some reports of malfunctions and missing magic.  I've tried to fix all
> > that, but it's still work in progress.

> > If you happen to own a laptop with a synaptics touchpad, please help
> > test:

> >   <http://people.freebsd.org/~philip/psm.diff>

> Not using the stick would be masochistic in my opinion ;)

And some of us are of a diametricly opposed opinion.

> Anyway pressing buttons of the touchpad and moving the stick gives
> _strange_ effects but I think this time I motivate myself by not using
> the synaptics XFree86 driver, so either I fix it or my mouse is broken
> :)

What I want to know is if this addition gives the ability to turn tapping,
and the added features off.  I hate having inadvertant changes in pressure
be interpreted by the mouse driver as a tap.  It's hugely annoying, and
the first thing I do in Windows is turn all of it off.  I want the pad to
track position deltas, and when I want to push a button, I'll push a
button.  If I want to scroll around, I mouse over to a scroll bar, push a
button, and move the mouse.  That's another bunch of shit that immediately
gets turned off in winodws.  Software that attempts to be smarter than the
user never is.

Jamie Bowden

--
"It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"