Re: [PLEASE TEST] Better support for Synaptics Touchpads

From: Philip Paeps <philip_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 00:24:01 +0200
On 2004-08-09 07:34:24 (-0700), Jamie Bowden <ragnar_at_sysabend.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Aug 2004, Arne Schwabe wrote:
> > Anyway pressing buttons of the touchpad and moving the stick gives
> > _strange_ effects but I think this time I motivate myself by not using the
> > synaptics XFree86 driver, so either I fix it or my mouse is broken :)
>
> What I want to know is if this addition gives the ability to turn tapping,
> and the added features off.

If people want that option, we can provide a sysctl for it.  I'd like to avoid
turning psm into too much of a dumping ground though.  Most of what it does
should really already be done in moused...

> I hate having inadvertant changes in pressure be interpreted by the mouse
> driver as a tap.

I see what you mean :-)

> Software that attempts to be smarter than the user never is.

Hardware that implements a kitchen-sink, a walk-in microwave and a hottub
is really asking for it though *grin*.

I'll see what I can do wrt sysctls to turn things off selectively.

 - Philip

--
Philip Paeps                                    Please don't Cc me, I am
philip_at_freebsd.org                               subscribed to the list.

  No system is ever completely debugged:  Attempts to debug
  a system will inevitably introduce new bugs that are even
  harder to find.