DISTDIR (was: Re: World broken in stage 1.1)

From: Ruslan Ermilov <ru_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:11:00 +0300
On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 11:16:29AM +0200, Barry Bouwsma wrote:
[...]
> I used to set this in make.conf, but only as
> MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX?= foo...
>                 ^^

Please see my other email in this thread that explains in detail
why it works, and why it should not be used.

> Which brings up something else -- has there been any
> resolution of the conflict between `DISTDIR' as used by
> ports, and `DISTDIR' as used by the `distribute' targets?
> I have the former set in my make.conf, which resulted in
> some odd paths, no matter how I specified `DESTDIR=' and
> `DISTDIR=' as both environment and `make' options when in
> the top-level src directory, but resolved itself only when
> given as an option within the `etc' subdirectory.
>
> Not that I know how to use `distribute/distribution' at
> all, but I saw that as one way to populate DESTDIR/etc.
>
> (Shoot me if this has been resolved in a way I've failed
> to catch during the months spent offline.)

DISTDIR is only used by "make distribute", and the latter
is only used by "make release".  "make release" doesn't
use /etc/make.conf.  Where's the conflict?

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov
ru_at_FreeBSD.org