Re: DISTDIR (was: Re: World broken in stage 1.1)

From: Barry Bouwsma <freebsd-misuser_at_remove-NOSPAM-to-reply.NOSPAM.dyndns.dk>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 12:58:50 +0200 (CEST)
> > MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX?= foo...
> >                 ^^
> Please see my other email in this thread that explains in detail
> why it works, and why it should not be used.

Understood.  Methinks that MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX is getting to
be a bit overloaded, as something that can be set by the
user, as well as something that gets set during the build.

Perhaps there should be something else that's user-only,
defaulting to /usr/obj or whatever, from which the build
process generates MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX and the like, but which
itself remains intact, that *could* be specified in a
make.conf or wherever.

Admittedly, I don't know much about the build process, or
if this has been tossed about in the past.  I see that NetBSD
has a number of user-specifiable things, some of which
overlap or nullify each other, that one can specify, such
as BSDOBJDIR and BSDSRCDIR and MAKEOBJDIR; at least the
latter of which seems to be an environment variable too, but
I'm not familiar with the NetBSD build, other than knowing
that I've needed to mess around with these in order to get
things where I've wanted.  Perhaps these, or something like
them, are applicable to FreeBSD as well.

Anyway, I agree that it would be nice if there would be
something that can be set in a make.conf which determines
where the build happens, rather than it be dependent on
an environment variable only.

> > Which brings up something else -- has there been any
> > resolution of the conflict between `DISTDIR' as used by
> > ports, and `DISTDIR' as used by the `distribute' targets?

> DISTDIR is only used by "make distribute", and the latter
> is only used by "make release".  "make release" doesn't
> use /etc/make.conf.  Where's the conflict?

Ah, that I had been using `make distribute' or similar in
order to populate DESTDIR/etc after a `make installworld',
which is probably not what I should have been doing.  (After
a crossbuild, I wanted to fill DESTDIR with everything,
including etc, as if installing a virgin installation.
There's probably a Right Way to do this that I don't know.)

thanks
barry bouwsma