Re: DISTDIR

From: Ruslan Ermilov <ru_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 15:21:33 +0300
On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 01:52:01PM +0200, Barry Bouwsma wrote:
> > The correct spelling would be "make distrib-dirs && make
> > distribution" while in /usr/src/etc, but it does not use
> > DISTDIR either.  "make distibute" while in /usr/src/etc
> > uses DISTDIR, but it should not be called by the end user,
>
> This is what I noticed, not knowing which was right, when I
> was testing to see what worked.  Anyway, then I did the
> `make distribution' with success -- I believe the `distrib-dirs'
> step was part of the `installworld'.  If not, I'll be doing it
> all again next buildworld, just for practice...

I don't use mergemaster(8), so I still use the old good way to
update /etc, etc.:

	dir=/var/tmp/`date +%Y%m%d`
	mkdir -p ${dir}
	cd /usr/src/etc
	make distrib-dirs DESTDIR=${dir}
	make distribution DESTDIR=${dir}

By saving the previous contents of /var/tmp/<some_date>, and
comparing it with the current one, I update my /etc.

> Thanks for the clarification, and straightening everything up.

We're here to help you.  ;)

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov