Tying a process to a processor, SMP.

From: Andrew Chant <achant_at_noc.utoronto.ca>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 15:41:08 -0400
Hello,
 I was wondering if there is any mechanism to tie a process to a given
processor on a SMP FreeBSD box.  I have a system running
snort/mysql/barnyard on a dual Xeon 3.06 GHz box w/ 1 Meg cache, and I
can see from 'top' that the processes seem to skip from CPU0 through to
CPU3 on a regular basis, which to me seems like it is inefficient.
Someone on #FreeBSD on freenode.net suggested that there was already an
API mechanism to perform this task, and that it would be a simple
project to write a user-mode utility to perform this task.  I'm willing
to help, but I am a complete newbie to FreeBSD and I don't have a clue
where to start.
Thanks,
-Andrew Chant
 achant_at_noc.utoronto.ca

ps. - please CC in replies, not subscribed.