Re: 5.x on a portege A100

From: Gavin Atkinson <gavin.atkinson_at_ury.york.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 22:25:41 +0100 (BST)
On Sun, 15 Aug 2004, Vince Hoffman wrote:
> 	I'm rather idley trying to get 5.2.1+ to work on my toshiba
> portege A100. So far no joy, 5.x will not boot. I have tried the
> various boot menu options (with and without ACPI), but 5.2.1
> and the latest -CURRENT snapshot I could could find on the snapshot server
> both freeze at pci0, ACPI enabled says, pci0: <acpi PCI bus> on pcib0
> non ACPI says pci0: <pci bus on pcib0>. I'll write down and retype the
> entire output if it'll help.

I've been vaguely looking into this myself on a friend's laptop... If you
boot verbose, is the chip it hangs on vendor 8086 product 3584?

If you drop into the bios, I believe there is an option called something
like "Device config". Set it to "All devices", not "Setup by OS". The
option may be called "PnP OS", in which case set it to no. Then I believe
you can boot either with or without ACPI.

This may not be the cause - i've been playing with a few different laptops
recently...

Gavin