Re: Public Access to Perforce?

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 12:42:50 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, M. Warner Losh wrote:

> In message: <20040816060528.GA2065_at_empiric.icir.org>
>             Bruce M Simpson <bms_at_spc.org> writes:
> : On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 01:04:03AM -0400, Chris BeHanna wrote:
> : >     Is there a read-only account that the general public could use?
> :
> : I think this is an excellent idea. Perhaps one should be set up.
> :
> : >     To alleviate load on perforce.freebsd.org, p4proxy could be set up
> : > on the current cvsup mirrors.  I'd likely set up my own proxy server
> : > on my home box, just to improve local response time (and ease setting
> : > up a local vendor branch for playing around).
> :
> : Now I'm curious about doing this myself! It would certainly help on
> : my laptop. I am lagging behind on -CURRENT at the moment.
>
> Doesn't cvsup10.freebsd.org already have a mirror of the p4 tree
> converted to cvs?

It has a selected subset (TrustedBSD, SMPng, KSE, I believe).  There's a
lot of stuff in the Perforce repo, and CVS exports of Perforce trees are
less storage efficient because of the name space / branching issue.  There
was a web server running on perforce.freebsd.org exporting the contents,
but it had some problems and Peter hasn't gotten to updating it yet.
Developers are selectively exporting branches; for example, I export
netperf as patch sets on my web page:

    http://www.watson.org/~robert/freebsd/netperf/

(FYI, there's now an RSS feed of my change log there :-).

robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Principal Research Scientist, McAfee Research