Re: RFC: Alternate patch to have true new-style rc.d scripts in ports(without touching localpkg)

From: <sthaug_at_nethelp.no>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 15:11:39 +0200
> I think that a better way would be to find an elegant method of
> allowing /usr/local/etc/rc.d to participate in rcorder.  I've got plenty of
> ideas about how to do this without breaking the filesystem dependency, but
> I'll wait to see what -current and -hackers come up with.  I am sure that
> their method will be cleaner.

I would much prefer to keep ports out of /etc (or out of the root file
system in general). I agree with the point made by several others that
the clean separation of base system and local mods is one of the great
strengths of FreeBSD.

Since /etc/rc.d/local (or similar) has been proposed:

- Why cannot /usr/local/etc/rc.d be used with rcorder if /etc/rc.d/local
is okay?

- If the argument is that /usr/local is not available: Okay, but in that
case you won't be able to start the ports anyway, since they are located
somewhere under /usr/local.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug_at_nethelp.no