Re: Public Access to Perforce?

From: Richard Coleman <rcoleman_at_criticalmagic.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 12:16:50 -0400
Robert Watson wrote:
> Last I looked, my primary concerns with Subversion were:
>
> - Cost to import full FreeBSD history.
>
> - That it promised the multi-way branching and merging in a future
> release, but did not yet have it.
>
> Do you know how things look with respect to the second issue?
>
> Robert N M Watson             FreeBSD Core Team, TrustedBSD Projects
> robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Principal Research Scientist, McAfee
> Research

Reading the ChangeLog for the upcoming subversion-1.1 release, it
doesn't look like it.

http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/CHANGES

My understanding is that the merge functionality in subversion is still
about the same that is currently in CVS (although faster).

But there's no denying that subversion is getting better by the day.
For a new project, I wouldn't hesitate to suggest subversion.  But for a
large, existing project like *BSD there doesn't seem to be a compelling
reason to switch (yet).  But that will change eventually.

Richard Coleman
rcoleman_at_criticalmagic.com