Re: Public Access to Perforce?

From: Will Andrews <will_at_csociety.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 14:06:46 -0500
On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 08:48:04AM -0700, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> As you pointed out later on, converting the entire repository is a
> pretty big task, although I've heard several times about developers in
> the Subversion community using the FreeBSD CVS repository as test data.

That's mostly because it's extremely polluted.  Branch and tag
names are mixed all over the place.  That doesn't sit well with
the normal subversion tree style, due to name collisions.

I know this because I tried to convert it to svn some time ago.
FreeBSD's repository needs a slightly different svn repository
layout than usual in order for it to work.  :-/

However, perhaps svn is not the best choice, in fundamental
style.  As a diverse project, FreeBSD should support remote,
loosely coupled repositories based on the main one.  I believe
svn doesn't work well for that purpose.

Regards,
--
wca