Re: Public Access to Perforce?

From: Bruce A. Mah <bmah_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 08:48:04 -0700
On Wed, 2004-08-18 at 08:31, Robert Watson wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Richard Coleman wrote:
>
> > Very well said.  And very useful since reading this helps me to
> > understand better what is going on behind the scenes.
> >
> > At some point in the future, it would be nice if this type of local
> > experimentation and the mainline were brought under the same
> > infrastructure (subversion/whatever).  But I don't think there is any
> > hurry since the current setup doesn't appear to be an obstacle.
>
> Yeah, the trick is finding the right tool.  The FreeBSD CVS repository is
> imported in full (pretty much), and updated in the Perforce repository
> every couple of minutes.

Just to clarify a point that might be confusing to folks:  What's really
imported into Perforce every few minutes is a snapshot of HEAD (for src/
and doc/ anyways, don't remember for ports/), not the entire repository
with all of the history, branches, etc.

As you pointed out later on, converting the entire repository is a
pretty big task, although I've heard several times about developers in
the Subversion community using the FreeBSD CVS repository as test data.
:-)

Bruce.