Re: Issues with the nvidia driver

From: Doug Rabson <dfr_at_nlsystems.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 10:19:15 +0100
On Thursday 19 August 2004 09:19, Mayo Jordanov wrote:
> First of all, thank you and Nvidia for all the work.
>
> I've been using the driver since it has been announced here, and it
> works great for most of things (dual head X, etc, etc), however, I
> see some issues with GL.
>
> When I run glxgears (or any program that uses GL - glxgears and some
> of the X screen savers is what I've been testing with) it runs just
> fine, giving me around 2500fps.
> As soon as I stop glxgears, and run it again, it will produce about
> 6fps. In order to get it back up to speed, I have to wait between 10
> or 20 minutes; after that it runs just fine again. If I quit it, and
> run again, I get around 3 to 6 fps, wait 10 to 20 mins, and on and
> on.
>
> Each time (high fps rate, and low fps rate) the CPU gets maxed out,
> with a slight diference though: when it's producing high fps rates,
> there are no problems getting other things to run smoothly, the CPU
> time is simply taken away from glxgears and fps drops. However, when
> it's producing low fps rates, the system becomes very unresponsive,
> until I manage to kill or quit glxgears.

You need to update to a more recent version of current. There were a
couple of VM problems that affected the nvidia driver and I committed
patches for them a couple of weeks ago. This is exactly the symptom
that I had before applying those patches.

If you don't want to update to current, you could manually apply the
patches which are available in the doc directory of the driver
distribution.