Re: Public Access to Perforce?

From: Geoff Speicher <geoff_at_speicher.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 09:03:18 -0400
On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 01:24:51PM +0000, David Rhodus wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 16:47:02 +0400, Roman Kurakin <rik_at_cronyx.ru> wrote:
> > David Rhodus wrote:

> > >With the perforce trees being hidden away without public access to the
> > >changes, this makes the FreeBSD project no longer an open source
> > >project.
> > >

> > This hides only development proccess, not a stable result.
> > If you don't have access to my home disks were I keep my
> > intermediate code with additional debug/hacks and so on
> > while I am debuggin new functionality would affect open
> > source status of results of my work?
> >
> > rik
>
> No this is not what I'm talking about, I don't think that level of
> development work is able to sustain here.  The development work should
> be done in the public cvs tree were it is open to public scrutiny and
> were a section of the community can help on the development process.

FreeBSD src committers certainly don't need to have public scrutiny
forced upon them for the work they are doing.  Do you demand access to
the kitchen when you go out to a restaurant?  Would you want people
watching over your back while you were experimenting, all the while
telling you how you might be doing it better?  It's already bad enough
with all the myopic armchair-quarterbacks around here.

Please, I appreciate your position, but don't be absurd.

Geoff