kernel module options (was ipfw2 broken)

From: Sean McNeil <sean_at_mcneil.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 10:53:39 -0700
On Thu, 2004-08-19 at 10:22, Andre Oppermann wrote:
> John Baldwin wrote:

> > > This, and all of the rc.d, module loading, and kernel option problems
> > > are now a blocking issue for BETA1.  We had planned to start the BETA1
> > > no later than 2200 UTC today.  What is your schedule for getting all of
> > > this fixed?
> >
> > It looks like fixing the rc.d script is simply a matter of checking for the fw
> > node rather than fw.enable.  The pfil(9) requirement is just a matter of
> > documenting the new requirement.  The IPDIVERT thing is probably larger
> > though. :(  We may need to just tell people to compile ipfw into the kernel
> > for now if they want divert sockets, much as they do if they want 'default to
> > accept'.
>
> IPDIVERT wasn't compiled into the module before.  It's surrounded by
> #if !defined(KLD_MODULE).  However if the kernel was compiled with option
> IPDIVERT but w/o IPFIREWALL is was working anyway.

Has this changed?  From what I saw yesterday no option in my config file
could possibly effect the compilation of the ipfw2 module.  The only way
I could see doing it was to modify the Makefile for the module.  yuk.

I would like to see a general mechanism supported to turn on various
options within a module build.  Would it be possible to fix module
building to honor options from the config?

Cheers,
Sean