Re: kernel module options (was ipfw2 broken)

From: John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j_at_resnet.uoregon.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 11:08:40 -0700
Sean McNeil wrote this message on Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 10:53 -0700:
> On Thu, 2004-08-19 at 10:22, Andre Oppermann wrote:
> > IPDIVERT wasn't compiled into the module before.  It's surrounded by
> > #if !defined(KLD_MODULE).  However if the kernel was compiled with option
> > IPDIVERT but w/o IPFIREWALL is was working anyway.
>
> Has this changed?  From what I saw yesterday no option in my config file
> could possibly effect the compilation of the ipfw2 module.  The only way
> I could see doing it was to modify the Makefile for the module.  yuk.
>
> I would like to see a general mechanism supported to turn on various
> options within a module build.  Would it be possible to fix module
> building to honor options from the config?

I had a set of changes a while back that would link all of the opt_*.h
files in the various module's dirs back to the ones in the main kernel
compile assuming that there wasn't a specific rule in the Makefile to
build that file.  I.e. 99% of the opt_*.h rules could be eliminated.

This solution was decided to be inadaquate, and was not accepted, but
I again propose it.  It quick and easy.

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579