Re: kernel module options

From: M. Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 19:00:10 -0600 (MDT)
In message: <20040819180840.GV99980_at_funkthat.com>
            John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j_at_resnet.uoregon.edu> writes:
: Sean McNeil wrote this message on Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 10:53 -0700:
: > On Thu, 2004-08-19 at 10:22, Andre Oppermann wrote:
: > > IPDIVERT wasn't compiled into the module before.  It's surrounded by
: > > #if !defined(KLD_MODULE).  However if the kernel was compiled with option
: > > IPDIVERT but w/o IPFIREWALL is was working anyway.
: >
: > Has this changed?  From what I saw yesterday no option in my config file
: > could possibly effect the compilation of the ipfw2 module.  The only way
: > I could see doing it was to modify the Makefile for the module.  yuk.
: >
: > I would like to see a general mechanism supported to turn on various
: > options within a module build.  Would it be possible to fix module
: > building to honor options from the config?
:
: I had a set of changes a while back that would link all of the opt_*.h
: files in the various module's dirs back to the ones in the main kernel
: compile assuming that there wasn't a specific rule in the Makefile to
: build that file.  I.e. 99% of the opt_*.h rules could be eliminated.

We already do this when building the modules as part of the kernel.
However, you can't eliminat ethe opt_*.h rules in the
sys/modules/*/Makefile because you still have to build in the building
in the world case.

: This solution was decided to be inadaquate, and was not accepted, but
: I again propose it.  It quick and easy.

If I understand it correctly, it is still inadequate.  Many of the
opt_*.h rules in the makefiles have been elminated by having the
default rule for them.

Warner