Re: Extending cdboot with options "Press any key to boot from CD" prompt

From: Roman Kurakin <rik_at_cronyx.ru>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 22:06:49 +0400
Ruslan Ermilov wrote:

>On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 04:25:03PM +0200, Andreas Kohn wrote:
>

>>On Thu, 2004-08-19 at 16:08, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>Please review/comment on attached patch, which extends cdboot with
>>>"Press any key to boot from CD" prompt inspired by Windows installation
>>>CDs. IMHO this feature is quite useful for installation CDs, and
>>>probably for other interactive one-shot CDs, to prevent machine from
>>>booting off CD again after work is complete. If there is no objections,
>>>I'd like to request repo copy from cdboot.s into cdboot.S and then
>>>commit this change. My plan is to keep this feature turned off by
>>>default, and provide make(1) knob to turn it one if necessary.
>>>
>>>Thanks!
>>>
>>>-Maxim
>>>

>>I like this idea very much.
>>
>>One small question: would it make sense to change the message to
>>something which tells the user *what* will boot if he pressed a key?
>>

>Aren't you supposed to already know which CD you have inserted?  ;)

In case you are updating several OSs at the same time and this disk was
inserted a day ago
(for example, a pretty girl take you away from you faforite computer to
the cinema ;-)
you may just don't remember what disk is there - OS you've already
installed or you
wish to install. Especially if you always forgot to mark recordable CDs.
(or not always,
that one girl take you away at the moment you've started to mark you CD ;-)

rik