Realtek RTL8139

From: TooManySecrets <toomany_at_toomany.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 11:12:15 +0200
Hi!

I downloaded the 5.3-BETA 1 ISO from ftp.freebsd.org, and try to install
in my laptop, an Acer Aspire 1605.
I try with ACPI, without it, with "hw.pci.allow_unsupported_io_range=1"
in loader.conf, with and without ACPI, and doesn't recognise the
ethernet, a Realtek RTL8139.
A linux system, with lilo option; noapic, run without any problem, and
can see the ethernet.

I attach to this e-mail my last conversation about this problem with M.
Warner Losh.

I'm very very worried about the impossibility to run FreeBSD, my great
favourite SO, in my laptop, and only run Linux... :-/

Thank you very much!!

--
                                   \|/ ____ \|/
Have a nice day  ;-)               "_at_'/ ,. \'_at_"

BSD is what you get when a bunch of Unix hackers sit down to try to port
a Unix system to the PC. Linux is what you get when a bunch of PC
hackers sit down and try to write a Unix system for the PC

attached mail follows:

Hi.

Sorry for my bad english...

Three or four month's ago I was write about a recognition problem with a
Acer Aspire 1605 laptop; it doesn't "see" the realtek ethernet. Today I
download the 5.2-CURRENT-20040804-SESNAP.iso and try, with and without
ACPI, and seem it's continue in the same way; don't work.

M. Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com> was contacted with me, but I don't know
if this problem have a solution, if the solution was applied (I think
not), or anything about.
This is the last e-mail I recieved from him:

In message: <1083945436.70731.4.camel_at_toomany.toomany.net>
: > In message: <1083941740.70731.1.camel_at_toomany.toomany.net>
: > : > What does pciconf -r pci0:7:0 0:0xff tell you?
: > :
: > : ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff
: > : ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff
: > : ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff
: > : ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff
: > : ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff
: > : ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff
: > : ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff
: > : ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff
: > : ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff
: > : ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff
: > : ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff
: > : ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff
: > : ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff
: > : ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff
: > : ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff
: > : ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff
: >
: > OK.  So FreeBSD is definitely not seeing this device at all.  Yet
the
: > listing from Linux clearly shows that the device is there.
:
: Aham... And now? Can I help you? Sorry for the "printf" suggestion,
but
: my C level is so poor... :-/

OK.  I've taken a look.  I'm thinking that there may be an issue with
the i386 config register reading.  src/sys/i386/pci/pci_cfgreg.c, look
at pcireg_cfg{read,write} may be in error.  you might try switching
the inb/inw/outb/outw to inl/outl with masking.  It likely won't
matter, but it is worth a shot.

Because my programming skills are very very poor, I'm only capable to
help testing and reporting, but I would like to deinstall the Linux from
laptop and install a FreeBSD.

Thank you very much!!

--