Re: [Fwd: sound in CURRENT]

From: Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads_at_cox.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:44:42 -0500
On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 14:43:18 +0300
Panagiotis Astithas <past_at_ebs.gr> wrote:

> Russell Jackson wrote:
>
> > To chime in on the sound issue, I get seemingly random distortions
> > or screeches during playback. A sure fire way to cause it on demand
> > is to do a sysctl -a. I've also found that taking the battery out
> > and running on A/C only reduces the frequency of the distortions.

I get horrible screeching with timidity++, myself.  MP3s and other audio
sounds fine, though.

> > You may have gathered that this is a laptop based on the fact that
> > it has a battery. Sound is provided by an Acer Labs M5451 using
> > t4dwave driver.
> >
> > On the other side of the spectrum, sound plays back perfectly on my
> > workstation.
>
> Just as a datapoint, ever since I added the following line to
> /boot/device.hints my sound experience has been greatly improved:
>
> hint.pcm.0.buffersize="16384"

Interesting.  The nVidia nForce3 already uses a default buffer size of
16384; I just rebooted, setting it to 32768.  Will see if this has any
benefit or not.  <crossing fingers>

I've tried fiddling with hw.snd.targetirqrate, but that did no good.
Still broke after a while.  <sigh>

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads_at_cox.net> -- "In Unix veritas"