Re: Upgrade to 5.3-BETA1: make installkernel - Stop in /usr/src/sys/modules

From: Chuck Swiger <cswiger_at_mac.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 14:26:23 -0400
Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 01:34:28PM -0400, Chuck Swiger wrote:
>> Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
>> [ ...using NFS to share /usr/src and /usr/obj... ]
>>> I forgot to mention what we *do* support.  We support NFS
>>> mounting remote /, /usr, and /var partitions, and doing an
>>> installworld/installkernel with DESTDIR pointing to NFS
>>> mounts.  This will result in missing file flags (NFS does
>>> not support them), but otherwise it's what we actually
>>> support: host doing build is the host doing an install.
>>
>> I've been updating a half-dozen or so 4.x machines using NFS-mounted
>> /usr/src and /usr/obj since 4.1 or so.  I'd much prefer to help get
>> NFS-distributed builds supported again than help change the Handbook:
>>
>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/small-lan.html
>
> I've underlined important parts.
>
> 19.5.1 Preliminaries
>
> First, identify a set of machines that is going to run the same set of
>                                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> binaries, which we will call a build set. Each machine can have a custom
> ^^^^^^^^
> kernel, but they will be running the same userland binaries.
>             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> This configuration we *do* support.

In the section quoted above by ">>> ", you state that "host doing build is the
host doing an install".  In Handbook 19.5.1, the host doing the install is not
the host which did the build-- the host doing the install is NFS-mounting the
software trees from the host which did the build.

Let's say I have one build machine, three multihomed firewall boxes which only
get updated for critical security problems which affect (IPFW, kernel, SSH),
and several other FreeBSD systems running mail, WWW, etc which I update more
frequently as downtime is less critical, and running more user-oriented
services means more exposure.

Let's say they all started out at 4.1.  I wait, update the build machine
regularly by following RELENG_4, and say around 4.3 decide I'm happy and want
to update all but the firewall machines via NFS.  More time passes, and the
build machine gets up to 4.5 when a raft of OpenSSL/OpenSSL patches breaks
loose.  I buildworld/buildkernel under 4.5 on the build server, test the
upgrade process until I am happy with the results, and then use NFS to export
/usr/src and /usr/obj, and update not just the 4.3 boxes but the older 4.1
machines to 4.5.

Is doing the equivalent today OK, or is it not supported?

--
-Chuck