Re: What's the status of vinum?

From: Tim Bishop <tim-lists_at_bishnet.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 20:54:33 +0100
On Mon, 2004-08-16 at 13:23, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> On Monday, 16 August 2004 at 10:50:20 +0100, Tim Bishop wrote:
> > I'm currently using RELENG_5_2 with vinum (not gvinum). It's
> > mirroring everything except swap, which I vaguely recall might not
> > have worked.
>
> Correct.  Swap on Vinum does not work on 5.x: the swap code insists on
> GEOM.

It worked on earlier 5.x, though.

> > I believe with -CURRENT that vinum might not work right, and gvinum
> > might be the only option. Then again I could be wrong :-)
>
> Yes, you're (still) wrong.  They're both currently in the tree, and
> different parts of each work.
>
> > When 5.2 is released gvinum should be the default, and should
> > hopefully be in a finished state.
>
> For very large values of 2.  5.3 won't have a complete gvinum;
> hopefully 5.4 will only have gvinum, which will then be renamed vinum.

Yes, I meant 5.3 :-)

So what's state is (g)vinum likely to be in for 5.3? I'm hesitant to
upgrade because it appears that the system is moving from under vinum's
feet, and gvinum isn't there yet. What are people who are currently
using vinum on earlier 5.x's going to do until gvinum is finished?

Cheers,
Tim.

--
Tim Bishop