Re: What's the status of vinum?

From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 21:53:57 +0930
On Monday, 16 August 2004 at 10:50:20 +0100, Tim Bishop wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-08-16 at 10:23, Darren Pilgrim wrote:
>> I'm currently doing a vinum RAID 1 on a box that runs RELENG_4_8.  For
>> what I do, at least, RELENG_5_2 "feels worthy" of a production box and
>> I'd really like to take advantage of some features 4.x doesn't have.
>> The threads on vinum/gvinum have me wondering if I should hold off a
>> bit.  What's the current condition of gvinum?  How well does
>> vinum/gvinum work in RELENG_5_2?  What are the features not yet
>> implemented in gvinum?  My eyeballs didn't capture any URLs for a status
>> page, but if someone can point me at one, that would be great.
>
> I'm currently using RELENG_5_2 with vinum (not gvinum). It's
> mirroring everything except swap, which I vaguely recall might not
> have worked.

Correct.  Swap on Vinum does not work on 5.x: the swap code insists on
GEOM.

> I believe with -CURRENT that vinum might not work right, and gvinum
> might be the only option. Then again I could be wrong :-)

Yes, you're (still) wrong.  They're both currently in the tree, and
different parts of each work.

> When 5.2 is released gvinum should be the default, and should
> hopefully be in a finished state.

For very large values of 2.  5.3 won't have a complete gvinum;
hopefully 5.4 will only have gvinum, which will then be renamed vinum.

Greg
--
Note: I discard all HTML mail unseen.
Finger grog_at_FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.