Re: ccache support for make buildworld/make release

From: Ruslan Ermilov <ru_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 23:55:51 +0300
On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 07:21:37PM +0300, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I wonder if anyone considered adding ccache support for
> buildworld/release targets. ccache is a tool, which wraps around gcc,
> allowing to cache object files generated by the compiler to greatly
> speed-up compilation of the same code over and over
> (http://ccache.samba.org/).
>
> It acts as a caching pre-processor to C/C++ compilers, using the -E
> compiler switch and a hash to detect when a compilation can be satisfied
> from cache.  This often results in a 5 to 10 times speedup.
>
> It can benefit both individual developers (less burden to test changes
> via full buildworld), and tinderboxes.
>
> Another interesting use is for package building cluster - it should be
> possible to set-up NFS folder shared among all nodes to hold cached
> objects for all ports in the tree to reduce turnaround time by the order
> of magnitude.

From the URL you provided:

: How to use it
:
:    You can use ccache in two ways. The first is just to prefix your
:    compile commands with "ccache". For example, you could change
:    the "CC=gcc" line in your Makefile to be "CC=ccache gcc".

In our case, it would mean:

	make buildworld CC="/usr/local/bin/ccache cc"

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov
ru_at_FreeBSD.org