Re: uhid recently broken

From: Christopher Nehren <apeiron_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 22:41:17 -0400
On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 21:38:53 EDT, M. Warner Losh scribbled these
curious markings:
> Looks like I have the same device you do.  I'm going to take exception
> to your characterization that a 'recent' commit broke it.  I just
> booted a March 20th, 2004 kernel with uhid compiled into it.  It still
> attached to ugen0.  Luckily the device was only $15 at CompUSA, so I
> went ahead and bought it...

Okay, it's great that it's detected by ugen. Unfortunately, when it attaches as
ugen, it fails to work with xmess / xmame (and presumably zsnes, though that
crashes right now due to nVidia driver issues), and those three programs are
the primary reasons for why I have this joypad in the first place. Having the
driver detect it is great, but it isn't too useful if it can't
communicate with programs that try to access it.

What happens if you boot a kernel from March 20th, 2004 with uhid but without
ugen? Have you tested the March 20th, 2004 / ugen0 kernel to see if any
programs can read input from the device? It's worked fine for me with uhid, but
xmame doesn't detect any devices if it attaches as ugen.

pejorative meaning "stupid and unsophisticated".  -- Ken Thompson
-