Re: 5.3-RELEASE TODO

From: Gavin Atkinson <gavin.atkinson_at_ury.york.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 14:58:20 +0100
On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 14:37, Scott Long wrote:

> Documentation items that must be resolved for 5.3
>
>  +------------------------------------------------------------------------+
>  |       Issue       |   Status    |  Responsible  |     Description      |
>  |-------------------+-------------+---------------+----------------------|
>  |                   |             |               | The installation     |
>  |                   |             |               | documentation        |
>  |                   |             |               | doesn't take into    |
>  | i386 Floppy       |             |               | account the new      |
>  | Installation Docs | Not done    | --            | floppy images (with  |
>  |                   |             |               | a full kernel split  |
>  |                   |             |               | across multiple      |
>  |                   |             |               | disks). This should  |
>  |                   |             |               | be updated.          |
>  |-------------------+-------------+---------------+----------------------|

doc/70485 has been committed which covers this pretty much entirely.
Ideally bin/70245 or similar should be committed so that the
instructions are fully correct, but I guess it's a bit late in the day
for that now.

>  |-------------------+-------------+---------------+----------------------|
>  |                   |             |               | The snd(4) and       |
>  |                   |             |               | pcm(4) drivers have  |
>  |                   |             |               | been renamed but     |
>  |                   |             |               | their manual pages   |
>  |                   |             |               | are still outdated.  |
>  |                   |             |               | sound(4) has to be   |
>  |                   |             |               | added and pcm(4),    |
>  |                   |             |               | csa(4), gusc(4),     |
>  | sound(4) related  | Not done    | --            | sbc(4), and          |
>  | manual pages      |             |               | uaudio(4) should be  |
>  |                   |             |               | revised. Other       |
>  |                   |             |               | manual pages which   |
>  |                   |             |               | refer to pcm(4) (if  |
>  |                   |             |               | any) should possibly |
>  |                   |             |               | be revised, too. In  |
>  |                   |             |               | addition, supported  |
>  |                   |             |               | cards list needs to  |
>  |                   |             |               | be updated.          |
>  |-------------------+-------------+---------------+----------------------|

I shall try and make a start on this this weekend, unless anyone else is
working on it?

>  |-------------------+-------------+---------------+----------------------|
>  |                   |             |               | Some parts are       |
>  |                   |             |               | outdated. doc/70485  |
>  |                   |             |               | has been committed,  |
>  |                   |             |               | but more work is     |
>  |                   |             |               | needed to reflect    |
>  |                   |             |               | the realities. bmah_at_ |
>  |                   |             |               | pointed out that we  |
>  | Installation      | Not done    | --            | should have          |
>  | Notes             |             |               | "quick-start"        |
>  |                   |             |               | installation guide   |
>  |                   |             |               | for each platform    |
>  |                   |             |               | instead of the       |
>  |                   |             |               | current ones because |
>  |                   |             |               | they become too long |
>  |                   |             |               | and difficult to be  |
>  |                   |             |               | maintained.          |

docs/66980 contains some updates to this.

Gavin