nfsd slows with age

From: Bob Willcox <bob_at_immure.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 13:35:18 -0500
Hi All,

I have noticed that on my NFS file server system the nfsd process
gradually starts using more and more CPU time when servicing remote
requests. When first started, it consumes appx. 4% CPU time when I run
a "cvs update" on one of my client systems (the FreeBSD cvs repo is on
the server). After some days/weeks of running I have seen that same "cvs
update" operation cause nfsd to use up to 65% of the CPU time. Stopping
and restarting nfsd seems to fix things back to normal.

This on a dual lightly loaded opteron system with 2 GB of memory and
running an almost 3 month old -current:

# uname -a
FreeBSD rancor.immure.com 5.2-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT #35: Mon May 31 10:54:57 CDT 2004     bob_at_amidala.immure.com:/usr/obj/stuff1/src/sys/AMIDALA  amd64

Has anyone else seen this behavior? Any ideas why it's happening? What
can I do to further track down the problem?

Thanks,
Bob

--
Bob Willcox             Acquaintance, n.:
bob_at_immure.com            A person whom we know well enough to borrow from,