ATAPI burners support - significant regression in 5.x

From: Maxim Sobolev <sobomax_at_portaone.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 22:05:13 +0300
I've noticed that quality of support for ATAPI CD burners in 5.x has
degraded significantly. Often when burning CD-RW (I have not
experimented on CD-Rs for obvious reasons), burncd hangs in the middle,
without any error messages. When it happens it doesn't respond to
SIGKILL, eject button doesn't work and the only way to recover form this
situation without reboot is to run atacontrol reinit. I've tested 3
different CD-RW devices on 3 different machines (2 runnning RELENG_5 and
one running RELENG_5_2), and the same problem exists on all of them. All
machines were idle during my experiments.

The easy way to reproduce this problem is to create some dummy iso image
(e.g. dd if=/dev/random of=/tmp/tmp.iso bs=1m count=650), put blank
CD-RW medium into the burner and then run something along the lines:

while true; do time burncd -s max data /tmp/tmp.iso; burncd -s max
fixate; burncd -s max blank; sleep 5; done

I've tried RW mediums with various speed ratings: 2x-4x, 4x-12x, 16x-24x
the problem happens with all of them. It also makes no difference
whether the medium is new or used.

Turning DMA on or off doesn't solve the problem either.

All is matter of time - sooner or later burncd hangs solidly, usually 30
minutes is enough to reproduce the problem.

IMHO it is quite significant problem that have to be addressed before
the 5.3 is out. At least if I am not correct and the problem happens due
to  problems with particular CD-RW devices, ata driver has to be
"smarter" to recover from such situation gracefully, returning error
code and leaving device in the useable position.

I am ready to provide more information or assist with debugging if
necessary.

-Maxim