Re: nfsd slows with age

From: Bob Willcox <bob_at_immure.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 16:13:47 -0500
On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 11:00:14PM +0200, Claus Guttesen wrote:
> > I have noticed that on my NFS file server system the
> > nfsd process
> > gradually starts using more and more CPU time ...
> > Stopping and restarting nfsd seems to fix things
> back to
> > normal.
> >
> > Has anyone else seen this behavior?
>
> I'm running a nfs-server with current as of Feb. 18'th
> 2004, serving approx. 5 TB for some web-servers. It's
> also acting as a rsync- and syslog-server. The
> cpu-usage hardly goes above 10 % while doing nfs,
> except when doing internal copying or rsyncing.
> Longest uptime was 118 days before I took it down to
> add more disks. Works _very_ solid (knock-knock) I
> must say.
>
> Are you using tcp or udp?

I'm using udp. My (rather few) clients use amd to automount stuff (home
dirs, etc.).

The server system it'self is really lightly loaded as it's for my
home network with usually only me accessing it (via nfs to my home
directory from my workstation). I don't know if the slowdown is related
to activity or not, guess I could run some tests to try to determine
this.

Thanks,
Bob

--
Bob Willcox             Acquaintance, n.:
bob_at_immure.com            A person whom we know well enough to borrow from,