Re: [PLEASE TEST] Better support for Synaptics Touchpads

From: Doug Poland <wisco_disco_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 20:03:44 -0700 (PDT)
> Robert Watson wrote:
> >
> > Would this have anything to do with the mouse on a Dell laptop
> > moving all by itself?  When I boot with ACPI enabled on 5.2.1-R
> > or 5.3Beta the mouse will simply go wild, moving all over the
> > screen at will.  This happens at the console and in X (both
> > XFree86 and XOrg).
>
> No, that's probably a problem with your Dell notebook.  I've had
> two Dells do it, and they do it under Windows as well.  I was sure
> it was a FreeBSD psm bug for months and months, and spent days
> hacking on psm trying to figure out what was triggering it.  Then
> one day I was sitting in a meeting at our offices in Santa Clara,
> and a whole room of people were typing on Dells, and about once a
> minute someone would go "Damn mouse".  Then it clicked :-).  I
> wouldn't rule out a recent FreeBSD change doing it, but given my
> experiences I'd think it more likely to be a hardware issue.  it
> went away each time I replaced the motherboard, but came back a
> few months later, suggesting wear-and-tear.

Well, that would explain much.  This laptop (Dell C600) worked quite
nicely when 5.2.1 was released.  The mouse situation has slowly
deteriorated in recent months.  It's a shame if it's a hardware
problem cause paying to have this laptop fixed is not an option.

Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me.

--
Regards,
Doug