Re: [PLEASE TEST] Better support for Synaptics Touchpads

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 23:39:54 -0400 (EDT)
On Sat, 28 Aug 2004, Doug Poland wrote:

> Well, that would explain much.  This laptop (Dell C600) worked quite
> nicely when 5.2.1 was released.  The mouse situation has slowly
> deteriorated in recent months.  It's a shame if it's a hardware problem
> cause paying to have this laptop fixed is not an option.
>
> Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me.

Well, I don't promise it's not a FreeBSD problem -- the best way to test
for sure would be to load a copy of Windows XP or the like on it and see
if the same problem recurs.  I find that the new Synaptics psm driver
changes made things a lot less comfortable, so I use the psm hints flags
setting to turn that off.

FWIW, my latest Latitude C600 just began doing it a few days ago -- all
goes down hill from here...

robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Principal Research Scientist, McAfee Research