Re: M*K**BJD*RPR*F*X and make.conf

From: Ruslan Ermilov <ru_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 17:34:03 +0300
On Sat, Aug 28, 2004 at 07:00:26PM +0200, Barry Bouwsma wrote:
> Hi.  You're going to hate me by the end of this message,
> in the unlikely chance that you don't hate me already.
>
> If I'm reading the failure of my attempted crossbuild of
> FreeBSD5 on my FBSD-4 machine, the check in Makefile.inc1
> is not looking in the right __MAKE_CONF, which I've tried
> specifying both as environment and make-option to cover
> all bases.
>
> Instead, it's looking in /etc/make.conf, which as far as I know
> is never used during my crossbuild (I hope), and where as far as
> I know it's still not expressly forbidden to use M*K**BJetc ?= foo
> at the present time under 4.x ...

No, you misinterpreted the check (please see below).

[...]
> (to rehash a previous thread, here's another reason I liked to be
> able to specify M*K**BJD*RPR*F*X in a make.conf, is in order to
> automagically get a different obj directory for each build, by
> evaluating `uname' and `date' and whatnot, which now requires an
> each-time invocation as environment, unlike the set-and-forget in
> a suitable make.conf.  no, I haven't tried my hand at suitably
> replacing this (mis)feature in an acceptable way yet)

Repeat ten times today: MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX is an environment variable,
and works properly only if set as environment variable, not as a
command-line variable or a global variable (in /etc/make.conf).
This is now documented in the following sources:

	- make(1) manpage
	- make.conf(5) manpage
	- /usr/share/mk/bsd.obj.mk
	- anti-footshooting measure in /usr/src/Makefile

Rumors are that this is probably now the best documented feature
of BSD make(1).  ;)

[...]
> I fully understand that you hate me now.

I will hate you if, after reading these, you still disagree.  ;)

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov
ru_at_FreeBSD.org