Re: 5.3-RELEASE TODO - make/kqueue

From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih_at_rpi.edu>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 10:25:04 -0400
At 8:05 PM -0400 8/28/04, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>At 7:37 AM -0600 8/27/04, Scott Long wrote:
>>
>>Testing focuses for 5.3-RELEASE
>
>And update on Issue:
>
>>  |---------------------------------+
>>  | make -DUSE_KQUEUE causes lockup |
>>  | with buildworld -jBIGNUM        |
>>  |---------------------------------+
>
>I have done many buildworlds using the WITH_KQUEUE make over the
>past week.  I have done at least 50 buildworlds in my dual-proc
>Althon machine, with -j ranging from 3 to 15.  I have not seen
>any lockups since the fix for IPI deadlocks went in.
>
>I do still get the "*** Signal 6"s, ...

I should also point out that I get those same Signal 6's with
`make' compiled without KQUEUE, so the problem is not with
KQUEUE itself.  So while I do think there is *some* subtle bug
that is still lurking around, I suspect that the issue about
KQUEUE and `make' can probably be crossed off the to-do list.

That's my experience, at least.  YMMV, etc.

>...  I just now realized that I ended up with 1.76...  I guess
>I should try it one more time with 1.75 instead of 1.76.

I can still generate the bogus Signal 6's with version 1.75.

>This failure is "eventually repeatable" for me, in that I can
>trigger it within 10 buildworlds.  And *seems* that it only
>happens if I am also running a "folding-at-home" client at the
>same time.  That client program is a Linux ELF binary, so maybe
>that is significant.   Or maybe it's a red herring.

Another variable that is perhaps worth noting is that I am still
running SCHED_4BSD.  This is on a snapshot of 6.x-current from
sometime last Thursday afternoon, except for changing the version
of src/sys/kern/kern_lock.c .

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad_at_gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad_at_freebsd.org