Re: 5.3-RELEASE TODO - make/kqueue

From: Ruslan Ermilov <ru_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 18:13:31 +0300
On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 10:25:04AM -0400, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> At 8:05 PM -0400 8/28/04, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> >At 7:37 AM -0600 8/27/04, Scott Long wrote:
> >>
> >>Testing focuses for 5.3-RELEASE
> >
> >And update on Issue:
> >
> >> |---------------------------------+
> >> | make -DUSE_KQUEUE causes lockup |
> >> | with buildworld -jBIGNUM        |
> >> |---------------------------------+
> >
> >I have done many buildworlds using the WITH_KQUEUE make over the
> >past week.  I have done at least 50 buildworlds in my dual-proc
> >Althon machine, with -j ranging from 3 to 15.  I have not seen
> >any lockups since the fix for IPI deadlocks went in.
> >
> >I do still get the "*** Signal 6"s, ...
>
> I should also point out that I get those same Signal 6's with
> `make' compiled without KQUEUE, so the problem is not with
> KQUEUE itself.  So while I do think there is *some* subtle bug
> that is still lurking around, I suspect that the issue about
> KQUEUE and `make' can probably be crossed off the to-do list.
>
> That's my experience, at least.  YMMV, etc.

About five people tested the make(1) binary with -DUSE_KQUEUE,
when I asked, and reported no lockups.  The make(1) built with
kqueue(2) did not result in any good/bad change in buildworld
times, so I felt like switching to this mode wasn't necessary.
In any case, I think the status for this item can safely
migrate to status.done now.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov