Re: burncd(8) usability: why `-s max' isn't default?

From: Jon Noack <noackjr_at_alumni.rice.edu>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 13:34:11 -0500 (CDT)
Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> I wonder if there are any compelling reasons why `-s max' is not default
> behaviour of burncd(8). IMHO, there is no point to have default of 4.
> Usually, today's drives are smart enough to select the maximum speed
> supported both by drive and by the medium.

In the past we did not have ATAPI DMA default to on.  You're just asking
for trouble trying to write at high speed with PIO, regardless of Burn
Proof.  Now that we do have ATAPI DMA on, we could (relatively) safely
change burncd to default at max speed.  However, there may be issues I am
not aware of that would prevent this change.

Jon