Re: burncd(8) usability: why `-s max' isn't default?

From: Maxim Sobolev <sobomax_at_portaone.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 13:29:32 +0300
Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Maxim Sobolev <sobomax_at_portaone.com> writes:
>
>>I wonder if there are any compelling reasons why `-s max' is not
>>default behaviour of burncd(8). IMHO, there is no point to have
>>default of 4. Usually, today's drives are smart enough to select the
>>maximum speed supported both by drive and by the medium.
>

> Plenty of drives aren't, especially with cheap media.

Do you have any evidence?

I know what I am talking about. We are working on the mass-product based
on FreeBSD. This product will have to burn data CDs. We have tried
compatibility of various media with `-s max', including very cheap ones
and have never seen any corruption due to speed mismatch. Virtually all
media available on the market today has a special track, which records
its speed rating and manufacturer.

Granted, some very old burners may not be able to correctly read and
understand this data, but for the same age reason those drives are not
likely to be able to write at more than 8x anyway (most likely even 4x).
You will have big problems finding any CD-R media (even very cheap one)
with rating < 32 on the market today, so that chances to "overspeed" the
media with those ancient burners are quite theoretical.

Based on that I think -s max is reasonable default.

-Maxim