Re: burncd(8) usability: why `-s max' isn't default?

From: Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des_at_des.no>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 12:50:31 +0200
Maxim Sobolev <sobomax_at_portaone.com> writes:
> Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> > Maxim Sobolev <sobomax_at_portaone.com> writes:
> > > I wonder if there are any compelling reasons why `-s max' is not
> > > default behaviour of burncd(8). IMHO, there is no point to have
> > > default of 4. Usually, today's drives are smart enough to select the
> > > maximum speed supported both by drive and by the medium.
> > Plenty of drives aren't, especially with cheap media.
> Do you have any evidence?

Yes.  My laptop's DVD/CD-RW drive (Hitachi something-or-other) turns
out coasters if I try to use -s max with no-brand CD-R media.

>      You will have big problems finding any CD-R media (even very
> cheap one) with rating < 32 on the market today, so that chances to
> "overspeed" the media with those ancient burners are quite theoretical.

What planet do you live on?  Back here on Earth, the most widely
available CD-R media is 16x or 24x, and prices rise steeply once you
cross that boundary.  For CD-RW media, that boundary is even lower (8x
or 12x).

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des_at_des.no