Re: acpi_video on SONY VAIO PCG-Z1 [was: acpi_video users needed]

From: Vladimir Grebenschikov <vova_at_fbsd.ru>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 14:39:22 +0400
On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 14:02 +0900, takawata_at_jp.freebsd.org wrote:

> >> You may hack the driver to do so.:-)
> >
> >Oh ... first i need to hack WinXP driver to find how to control LCD
> >brightniness.
> >
> >> But, in your machine, the driver does not work anything but
> >> recognize that the video adaptor has 3 way output. And
> >> you can't use acpi_video, if you want to use DRM or nvidia kernel module.
> >
> >I have ATI RADEON MOBILITY, so no need nvidia module.
> >
> >Can you provide me a bit of theory ?
> >
> >Who usual responsible for LCD bacllight control ?
> >   video-chip(ATI) / chipset(Intel) / special device on bus ?
>
> It seems to be controlled by Special device on bus called embedded controller.
> You can use it with setbrightness in ports/sysutils/sjog or
>  ports/graphics/picturebook. But these tools are a bit dangerous because
> it will conflict with ACPI(These tools are based on disassembled AML before
> ACPI support is not populler in free unicies.)
> .
> I just wrote a driver for it. I hope it will help you.
> http://www.init-main.com/acpi_snc.tar.gz

Yes, it works, now I can control LCD backlight brightness.
$ setbrightness 50
$ setbrightness 255
# sysctl dev.acpi_snc
dev.acpi_snc.0.%desc: Sony system controller
dev.acpi_snc.0.%driver: acpi_snc
dev.acpi_snc.0.%location: handle=\_SB_.PCI0.LPCB.SNC_
dev.acpi_snc.0.%pnpinfo: _HID=SNY5001 _UID=0
dev.acpi_snc.0.%parent: acpi0
dev.acpi_snc.0.brightness: 60
#

Now only issue I am warry about "How to awake screen after suspend ?"

--
Vladimir B. Grebenschikov
SWsoft Inc. vova_at_sw-soft.com