Re: acpi_video on SONY VAIO PCG-Z1 [was: acpi_video users needed]

From: <takawata_at_jp.freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 14:02:35 +0900
In message <1093891970.1195.25.camel_at_localhost>, Vladimir Grebenschikov wrote:

>> >Ok, And what conclusion "no-way" ?
>>
>> You may hack the driver to do so.:-)
>
>Oh ... first i need to hack WinXP driver to find how to control LCD
>brightniness.
>
>> But, in your machine, the driver does not work anything but
>> recognize that the video adaptor has 3 way output. And
>> you can't use acpi_video, if you want to use DRM or nvidia kernel module.
>
>I have ATI RADEON MOBILITY, so no need nvidia module.
>
>Can you provide me a bit of theory ?
>
>Who usual responsible for LCD bacllight control ?
>   video-chip(ATI) / chipset(Intel) / special device on bus ?

It seems to be controlled by Special device on bus called embedded controller.
You can use it with setbrightness in ports/sysutils/sjog or
 ports/graphics/picturebook. But these tools are a bit dangerous because
it will conflict with ACPI(These tools are based on disassembled AML before
ACPI support is not populler in free unicies.)
.
I just wrote a driver for it. I hope it will help you.
http://www.init-main.com/acpi_snc.tar.gz

>Is this problem related to inability to "wakeup" after suspend:
>"notebook alive, response on keys, but screen is not initialized
>changing syscons/X doesn't help"
>?
>
>Is "learning" acpidumps of other SONY notebooks, compatible with
>acpi_video, can help ?
>
>I suspect there is no public spec for such kind of things, isn't it ?

You may want to look into Device(SNC).