Re: burncd(8) usability: why `-s max' isn't default?

From: Maxim Sobolev <sobomax_at_portaone.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 15:16:15 +0300
Søren Schmidt wrote:

> Maxim Sobolev wrote:
>
>> Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:

>>> Plenty of drives aren't, especially with cheap media.
>>

>> Do you have any evidence?
>>
>> I know what I am talking about. We are working on the mass-product
>> based on FreeBSD. This product will have to burn data CDs. We have
>> tried compatibility of various media with `-s max', including very
>> cheap ones and have never seen any corruption due to speed mismatch.
>> Virtually all media available on the market today has a special track,
>> which records its speed rating and manufacturer.
>

> If you know what you are talking about, and is in the process of making a
> FreeBSD product, I'm sure you also know how to patch FreeBSD to do what
> you want for that product.

Yes, I know how to do it, but it is not the topic of this discussion.
Apart from my commercial activity, I am running quite large FreeBSD user
group in my country, so that improving OOB FreeBSD useability concerns me.

> For the "free" version of FreeBSD I'd prefer we stick to what we have,
> there
> are way too many crappy burners/media out there that will produce bad
> results,
> and that translates into mails in my inbox with complaints that I can
> easily
> live without....

Few of my friends were quite surprised when I've told them about '-s
max' option and how useful it is. I wonder how many FreeBSD users out
there don't know about it as well and wonder why FreeBSD is so slow when
burning at their brand-new zillon-speed CD-RW drive.

BTW, maybe it would be better to add logic to read media's max speed
into burncd/atapicd and throttle burning accordingly? For example with
cdrdao(8) it is possible to do something like the following using atapicam:

-bash-2.05b$ sudo cdrdao disk-info -v 0 --device 1,0,0 --driver
generic-mmc | grep ^Reco
Recording Speed      : 0X - 8X
-bash-2.05b$

We've confirmed that it produces accurate results for all types and
speeds we've been able to find on market.

-Maxim