Re: suggestion for /usr/src/UPDATING

From: Mike Hunter <mhunter_at_ack.Berkeley.EDU>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 14:18:34 -0700
On Aug 31, "Matthew D. Fuller" wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 01:31:31PM -0700 I heard the voice of
> Brooks Davis, and lo! it spake thus:
> >
> > I agree the current default is confusing and counterintuitive, at
> > least at first.
>
> I don't!
>
> It's been a whole lotta years since I ever put any conscious thought
> into which hand I'm using to type a letter.  I just decide to type
> that letter.  'l' for the left side, and 'r' for the right side make
> perfect sense; it would never even occur to me to think about which
> hand is being used.

I also think it's very important to consider neurology here.  Quoting a
medical text:

* Nerves from the brain cross over at neck-level to the opposite side of the
* body, and nerves from the other side of the brain reciprocate. The end
* result is that the opposite sides of the body are supplied by the opposite
* sides of the brain.

So it's deceptive to think that using the left hand would correspond to
the *idea* of something on the left.  You see linux people making these
kind of arguments all the time, and I'd really hate to see FreeBSD run
with this idea just to "keep up with the Torvaldses."

Mike