Re: My project wish-list for the next 12 months

From: Eric Kjeldergaard <kjelderg_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 19:48:54 +0000
> 4.  Journaled filesystem.  While we can debate the merits of speed and
> data integrety of journalling vs. softupdates, the simple fact remains
> that softupdates still requires a fsck run on recovery, and the
> multi-terabyte filesystems that are possible these days make fsck a very
> long and unpleasant experience, even with bg-fsck.  There was work at
> some point at RPI to add journaling to UFS, but there hasn't been much
> status on that in a long time.  There have also been proposals and
> works-in-progress to port JFS, ReiserFS, and XFS.  Some of these efforts
> are still alive, but they need to be seen through to completion.  But at
> the risk of opening a can of worms here, I'll say that it's also
> important to explore non-GPL alternatives.

A thread (http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2004-October/040904.html
)happens to be talking about ro support for the ReiserFS.  After
having used this for quite some time in a Linux environment, I can't
help but notice that it seriously outperforms any other filesystem
I've tried on large numbers of littlish files.  A beautiful
application that I've rather wanted to try for a while was this on the
ports tree.

The stage of the current implementation is, as I said, read-only.
Further, it's currently i386 only.  However, I think that there is
enough interest in this new (and relatively exciting) filesystem that
we may be able to find some developers with time (Possibly including
myself) and desire to try to implement write support and do some
porting.   To ease any qualms with regards to licensing, it appears
(http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2004-October/040998.html)
that the current implementation is BSD licensed.

--
If I write a signature, my emails will appear more personalised.