Re: My project wish-list for the next 12 months

From: Jean-Sébastien Pédron <jspedron_at_club-internet.fr>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 22:33:12 +0100
Eric Kjeldergaard wrote:
>> 4.  Journaled filesystem.
>
> The stage of the current implementation is, as I said, read-only.
> Further, it's currently i386 only.

In theory, it shouldn't be tied to i386, but I never tested it somewhere
else unfortunately.

> However, I think that there is enough interest in this new (and
> relatively exciting) filesystem that we may be able to find some
> developers with time (Possibly including myself) and desire to try to
> implement write support and do some porting.   To ease any qualms
> with regards to licensing, it appears
> (http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2004-October/040998.html)
>  that the current implementation is BSD licensed.

Not exactly. Only the mount_reiserfs command is under BSD. The kernel
module is GPL.

I don't know neither JFS nor XFS, but Reiser4 may be a great candidate
too (the current port is ReiserFS 3.6 only). It sure doesn't have the
maturity of ReiserFS but brings nice features.

Jean-Seb