Re: My project wish-list for the next 12 months

From: Jose M Rodriguez <josemi_at_freebsd.jazztel.es>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 10:50:50 +0100
El Jueves, 2 de Diciembre de 2004 00:19, Scott Long escribió:
> Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 04:10:57PM -0700, Ryan Sommers wrote:
> >>Another issue I had with the dfly installer was one point I believe
> >> needs to be central to any next-gen installer.
> >> Internationalisation.
> >
> > Careful not to pile on so many wishes that achieving anything
> > becomes impossible.  Our current installer doesn't do this, so it's
> > not a hard requirement that a better installer should.
> >
> > Kris
>
> Internationalization is actually quite important, and is not easy to
> bolt on after the fact but is fairly easy to program to once the core
> is in place.  The fact that sysinstall doesn't have it makes it no
> less important.  Now this isn't a reason to reject the DFly work, but
> it could certainly be a good area for someone to contribute.
>
> Scott

Sure.  I can confirm this.  But this issue must be take with care.

1.-  This is an overall effort that, IMHO, must begin with a real i18n
ports work.  Actual ports doesn't have a well defined i18n behavior.

2.-  this covers several unrelated issues:
	- i18n, lang related issues. iso8859-1, unicode, arabic ...
	- l10n, locale related issues (country specific).
	- base system oper (try hack arround loader with a foreing keyboard).

About the base system, I have really bad experiences with i18n/locale
support in boot/system works.  This must be a low priority task.

But I'll be really glad to see some basic foreing keyboard/console
support in boot/loader as:
boot> keyb sp

--
  josemi