names of supfiles in /usr/share/examples/cvsup

From: Rob <spamrefuse_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 16:39:03 +0900
Hi,

For 5.3 in /usr/share/examples/cvsup, there's:

  stable-supfile   : for FreeBSD-stable
  standard-supfile : for FreeBSD-current

I find this naming rather confusing. Why "stable" refers to STABLE, but
"standard" refers to CURRENT ?

This causes unnecessary confusion. Why not the following name convention:

  release-supfile  : for FreeBSD-RELEASE
  stable-supfile   : for FreeBSD-STABLE
  current-supfile  : for FreeBSD-CURRENT

as default supplied files in /usr/share/examples/cvsup ?

At least the naming of files is then very obvious for people
who start learning about the cvsup stuff.

Another point, which I miss in the guidelines for using these files:
I would advice people to do one of following (whatever appropriate)

  cvsup -h your.nearest.server.org /usr/share/examples/cvsup/release-supfile
  cvsup -h your.nearest.server.org /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile
  cvsup -h your.nearest.server.org /usr/share/examples/cvsup/current-supfile

instead of copying the files and edit them. Usually one only needs to modify
the server's hostname; the -h option can do that in an easier way.

Regards,
Rob.